POUNAMU TOKI WORKSHOP
Learn about the practices associated with Māori arts whilst creating a Toki/Whao (Chisel/adze) taonga in this full 1-day workshop at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds.
Presented by Aotearoa Bone and Stone, participants will be using diamond wheels, drills, wet and dry sanding, and polishing tools, to create a Toki pendant. Traditional Polynesian braiding and lashing techniques will complete the pendant ready to wear in this contemporary Tikanga-based workshop.
Maximum of 10 participants. All-day workshop
About Aotearoa Bone and Stone
With the expert guidance of established Māori artists, Maha (Waikato, Ngai Tahu) and Laura (Nga Puhi, Te Arawa) you are able to create a beef bone whales tooth pendant.
Have fun learning about the practices associated with Māori arts and indigineous contexts & connections in these Māori Tikanga/custom based workshops.
This workshop has been made possible by the generous support of Creative Communities.
EVENT DATES & BOOKING INFO
Waitangi Treaty Grounds
9:30am – 5pm
Cost: $75pp + Booking Fee
- Duration of workshop is 8 hours, including lunch break
- All materials are supplied, and attendees create and keep their pendant.
- Please wear comfortable clothes and covered shoes are essential as you will be working with power tools. An apron will be handy if you can bring one!
- Tea and coffee supplied
- Lunch is not included, can be purchased from the Whare Waka Café on site
- Cost of workshop includes entry to Waitangi Treaty Grounds
Tahuaroa Functions Centre, Waitangi Treaty Grounds 1 Tau Henare Drive, Waitangi, Bay of Islands