BONE CARVING WORKSHOP
Spend the day at Waitangi Treaty Grounds this Matariki and create your own whale’s tooth out of bone in this tikanga based contemporary workshop!
Presented by Aotearoa Bone and Stone, participants will be introduced to a new skill set through the carving design process, using grinders, drills, wet and dry sanding techniques and polishing tools. Then learn some lashing and binding techniques used traditionally throughout Polynesia.
Maximum of 10 participants. All-day workshop
About Aotearoa Bone and Stone
With the expert guidance of established Māori artists, Maha (Waikato, Ngai Tahu) and Laura (Nga Puhi, Te Arawa) you are able to create a beef bone whales tooth pendant.
Have fun learning about the practices associated with Māori arts and indigineous contexts & connections in these Māori Tikanga/custom based workshops.
This workshop has been made possible by the generous support of Creative Communities.
EVENT DATES & BOOKING INFO
Waitangi Treaty Grounds
9:30am – 4pm
Cost: $75pp + Booking Fee
- Duration of workshop is 7 hours, including lunch break
- All materials are supplied and attendees create and keep their carving.
- Please wear comfortable clothes and covered shoes are essential as you will be working with power tools. An apron is handy if you can bring one!
- Tea and coffee supplied
- Lunch is not included, can be purchased from the Whare Waka Café on site
- Cost of workshop includes entry to Waitangi Treaty Grounds
Tahuaroa Functions Centre, Waitangi Treaty Grounds 1 Tau Henare Drive, Waitangi, Bay of Islands